Guideline For Homeless Experience
Sang Jin Choiemail@example.com
APPA Mission Center • June 26, 2010
Purpose: Understanding homeless people’s lives and learning about homeless Jesus, learning to serve the poor community.
Three questions to understand the homeless:
1. How hungry are they?
2. How thirsty are they?
3. How lonely are they?
4. How cold are they?
Three questions to meditate upon during your homeless experience:
1. Who is Jesus? Learning about homeless Jesus. Jesus was born in a barn stable. He had been in the streets during his public ministry before being crucified. Luke:9:58 and Matthew:8:20 - And Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."
2. Who am I? Reflecting on ourselves, especially being too involved in a luxurious life or in consumerism. Being grateful to parents and God, who keep you from being homeless.
Am I a real Christian? Reflection on ourselves, especially about serving in a poor community. Jesus said “love thy poor neighbor”
Several Rules for your Homeless Experience:
- because many homeless people have no friends.
No eating or drinking
- homeless people aren’t often fed on weekdays.
No moving around
- many homeless people sit on the same bench all day long, every day.
Through these rules, participants can learn how tragic homeless peoples’ lives really are and how luxurious their own lives are in comparison.
APPA Homeless Experience Track (participants should fast for breakfast and lunch):
1. We will alter our clothes to look homeless.
2. We will pray together in preparation for the experience.
3. We will leave the APPA center at 9:30 A.M.
4. We will walk (about 30 min) to the place where we will have the homeless experience.
5. We will designate each person to a separate bench.
6. We will meditate and think about the six questions above.
7. One hour before it ends, the leader will visit each person and ask them what they learned/felt (about 3 min per person). It is very important that the participants finish up their homeless experience.
8. At 4:00 P.M., we will make a circle and hold hands for a closing prayer.
9. We will walk back to the APPA center.
10. Half hour reflection after coming back to the center (voluntary sharing experience – many people will cry).
We will prepare dinner for the homeless (sandwiches, cup noodles, etc.) and have dinner at about 7:00 P.M.
Urban Mission / Ministry Training sheet #5